Slow Cooker Cowboy Beans
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup finely diced sweet onion
- 1 or 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed, finely diced
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 (28 ounce) cans pork and beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (or more to taste)
- A couple dashes Liquid Smoke (optional)
- In large skillet, brown ground beef, breaking up chunks as it cooks. Add
the onion and peppers and continue to cook until the onions start to become
translucent. Drain off any excess fat. Set aside.
- Add the pork and beans, black beans, kidney beans and all of the
remaining ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Stir in the beef. If mixture seems too thick, add bit more ketchup, BBQ
sauce, or a little water to get the consistency you like.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 - 3 hours, or until bubbly.
You can also bake these beans in a covered Dutch oven at 375 degrees F for 40
- 45 minutes or until beans are bubbly. Allow to sit for at least 15 minutes