- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 1/2 cups well mashed, overripe bananas (2 or 3 bananas)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With the electric beater on low, fluff the shortening in a small
bowl, until soft and creamy.
- Add the sugar gradually.
- Beat in the eggs in a slow stream.
- With a fork, beat in 1/3 of the flour mixture, 1/2 the bananas
another 1/3 of the flour mixture, the rest of the bananas then
the last of the flour mixture.
- Fold in the walnuts.
- Turn into a greased and floured baking unit or a 2 1/2-quart mold and
- Place on a rack in the slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker,
but prop the lid open with a wooden pick or a twist of foil
to let the excess steam escape.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours.
- Cool on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings