Chocolate Applesauce Cake
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Sifted confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed 1 to 2 minutes, or until fluffy.
- Beat in the applesauce, cinnamon, vanilla extract and eggs until well mixed.
- Beat in the melted chocolate until blended.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- With the mixer on low speed, beat in the dry ingredients, adding the buttermilk as you beat. Beat just until evenly mixed.
- By hand, stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Scrape the batter into a buttered 3 1/2-quart slow cooker and smooth the top.
- Cover and cook on the HIGH heat setting 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. (Do not cook on the low heat for a longer time.)
- Remove the lid and let the cake stand in the slow cooker until just barely warm.
- To unmold, run a sharp knife around the inside edges of the cooker and with a large spatula, carefully lift out the cake in one piece.
- Sprinkle confectioners' sugar over the top and cut into wedges to serve.
Yield: 10 servings
Per Serving: 409 Calories; 22g Fat (45.5% calories from fat);
7g Protein; 52g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 75mg Cholesterol;
Exchanges: 1 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat
Milk; 4 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.