- 4 strips bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (32 ounce) jar sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 1 large peeled and shredded potato
- 1 cup peeled and chopped apples
- 1 cup no-salt chicken broth
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth or dry white wine
- 1/4 pound lean ham, cut into chunks (or leftover cooked pork)
- Snip bacon into small pieces and place on a microwave broiling rack
or paper plate.
- Cover with a paper towel and cook on HIGH for 3 minutes.
- Drain bacon and place in slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Cook for a minimum of 4 hours on LOW.
To reduce sodium, substitute cooked pork for ham and/or fresh cabbage
Optional microwave Instructions: Microwave bacon as directed above; drain
and place in a microwave-safe casserole dish. Add all remaining
ingredients except ham. Cook uncovered on HIGH for 15 minutes. Add
ham. Cook on 50% power for 3 minutes.
Per serving: 263 calories, 6 gr fat, 920 mg sodium
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fruit, 3 veg