Cherry-Pecan Bread Pudding
- 3 cups French bread cubes
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 1/4 cups low-fat milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 3/4 cup reduced-calorie cranberry juice cocktail
- 1 1/2 cups frozen pitted tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons sugar substitute
- Toss bread cubes and pecans in soufflé dish.
- Combine milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
in large bowl.
- Pour over bread mixture in soufflé dish.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Make foil handles with heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Place soufflé dish in slow cooker.
- Pour hot water into slow cooker to come
about 1 1/2 inches from top of soufflé dish.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2 to 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, stir together cranberry juice and remaining 1/4 teaspoon
cinnamon in small saucepan; stir in frozen cherries.
- Bring sauce to boil over medium heat - about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in sugar substitute.
- Lift dish from slow cooker with foil handles.
- Serve with cherry sauce.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 238; calories
from fat 25%; protein 8 g; carb 38 g, cholesterol 78 mg; sodium
154 mg; fiber 2 g
Dietary Exchanges: 1 fruit; 1 starch; 1 fat