One of the main differences between Hungarian goulash and American goulash is that American goulash uses ground beef.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (24 ounce) can or jar pasta sauce
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces canned mushrooms, undrained
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt, or to taste
- 3 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- Brown ground beef, onions and garlic until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Add ground beef mixture to slow cooker. Add all remaining ingredients
except the uncooked macaroni.
- Cook on HIGH for 2 hours or on LOW for 4-5 hours.
- Prepare macaroni al dente according to package directions. Drain well
and stir into meat sauce. Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes to heat