Pasta with Eggplant Sauce
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian style tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (6 ounce) can Italian style tomato paste
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup pitted olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 4 cups hot cooked penne pasta
- 1/3 cup grated or shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts (optional)
- Peel eggplant, then cut into 1-inch cubes.
- In a 3 1/2 - 5 1/2 quart slow cooker, combine eggplant, onion,
undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, garlic, water and oregano.
- Cook on LOW for 7 - 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 1/2 - 4 hours.
- Stir in olives and parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over pasta with Parmesan cheese.
- Garnish with toasted pine nuts.
Yield: 6 servings