- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 pounds fresh plum tomatoes, cored, peeled, seeded and pureed (enough to yield 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Turn the slow cooker on HIGH, and let it heat for 5 minutes.
- Add olive oil, onion and garlic. Stir and cover.
- Cook for 1 hour, or until onion is soft and wilted.
- Uncover and add tomatoes, parsley, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and stir.
- Cook with the cover off for approximately 4 hours. The sauce is done when it is thick and not watery.
Yield: 4 cups
This recipe yields enough for 1 pound of pasta. It will freeze well up to two months.