Chinese Country-Style Ribs
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons rice or white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon five spice powder (optional)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon cold water
- 4 pounds country-style pork ribs, cut in single ribs
- Hot cooked rice
In a 3 1/2-quart slow cooker, combine ketchup, honey, vinegar, soy
sauce, five-spice powder, onion, ginger and garlic.
Position a broiler rack 6 inches from the source of the heat and
preheat the broiler.
Broil the ribs, turning once, until browned, about 10 minutes.
Transfer the ribs to the slow cooker. Stir to coat the ribs with the sauce.
Cover and cook on LOW until ribs are tender, for 5 to 6 hours.
Transfer the ribs to a platter and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
Skim the fat from the surface of the sauce.
In a medium saucepan bring the sauce to a simmer over a medium heat.
Cook until reduced to about 1 cup, about 6 to 8 minutes.
Stir in the cornstarch mixture and cook just until thickened.
Pour the sauce over ribs and serve immediately with hot cooked rice.