German Short Ribs
- 3 1/2 pounds beef short ribs
- ]2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Coat short ribs in mixture of 2 tablespoons flour with salt and pepper.
- Melt shortening in large skillet; add ribs and brown on all sides.
- Pour off excess fat.
- In slow cooker, combine ribs, onions, wine, chili sauce, brown sugar,
vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and chili powder.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- Turn control to HIGH.
- Thicken with 2 tablespoons flour that has been dissolved in a small amount of water.
- Cook on HIGH about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Serve over wide noodles.
Yield: 6 servings