Oktoberfest Ribs with Apple Sauerkraut
A natural flavor combination for autumn: ribs, apples, and sauerkraut. This meal-in-a-pot
would be nicely accompanied with sliced rye bread and cold beer or iced tea.
- 4 pounds pork spareribs, trimmed to fit into slow cooker, cut into 2-rib portions
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 small red potatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 (1 pound) package refrigerated sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 small red apples, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed, coarsely crushed
- In large nonstick skillet brown ribs in oil over high heat.
- Place ribs in 3 1/2-4-quart slow cooker with potatoes, onion, sauerkraut
- Combine remaining ingredients and pour over.
- Cook, covered, on LOW for 6-8 hours (or on HIGH for 3-4 hours).
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 6 hours | Servings: 4
Nutrition Information: Calories: 949 calories Protein: 63 grams Fat: 66 grams
Sodium: 946 milligrams Cholesterol: 255 milligrams Saturated Fat: 24 grams Carbohydrates:
24 grams Fiber: 5 grams
Reprinted with permission from the National Pork Board - porkbeinspired.com.