This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Pork Hocks and Black-Eyed Peas
- 1 1/2 cups dry black-eyed peas
- 4 small smoked pork hocks (1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 cups sliced okra or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole okra, thawed and cut into 1/2-inch slices (optional)
- Rinse black-eyed peas; place in a large saucepan.
- Add enough water to cover peas by 2 inches. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer,
uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse peas.
- In a slow cooker combine the black-eyed peas, pork hocks, broth, sweet
pepper, onion, celery, bay leaves, and red pepper.
- Cover; cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
- Add okra, if desired.
- Cover; let stand for 10 minutes or until okra is tender.
- Remove pork hocks.
- When cool enough to handle, cut meat
off bones; cut meat into bite-size pieces.
- Discard bones and bay leaves.
- To serve, stir meat into black-eyed pea mixture.