Root Beer Ribs
You can’t beat a refreshing slaw with ribs — one with a little sweetness from
apples, oranges, or raisins would be nice with this recipe.
- 2 racks St. Louis-style spare ribs, (2 1/3 to 3 pounds each), cut into 3- or 4-rib sections
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1/2 cups (12-ounce) can root beer, (not diet), divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons cold water
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Combine sugar, chili powder, salt, onion powder and allspice in medium bowl.
- Set aside half the spice mixture (about 1/3 cup.); sprinkle the rest over both
sides of ribs.
- Pour 1/2 cup root beer into slow cooker and add ribs.
- Cover and cook on low 5-6 hours or on high for 3 1/2-4 hours, until ribs are
- With 10 minutes left on ribs, combine remaining root beer and reserved spice
mixture in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to boil, stirring to dissolve
- Add cornstarch mixture and stir until sauce thickens, just a few seconds. Remove
from heat; set aside.
- Remove ribs to platter and cover.
- Strain the cooking liquid and pour off fat.
- Add 1/3 cup remaining liquid to sauce; stir until smooth.
- Brush ribs with sauce, serve with remaining sauce on side.
Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 6 hr | Servings: 6
This would also be good with oven fries alongside. To make the dish your own,
try using cola instead of root beer, or serve the ribs garnished with thin slivers
of red onion.
Nutrition Information: Calories: 380 calories Protein: 17 grams Fat: 26 grams
Sodium: 1300 milligrams Cholesterol: 85 milligrams Saturated Fat: 8 grams Carbohydrates:
20 grams Fiber: 1 grams
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
National Pork Board - porkbeinspired.com.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Slow Cooker Pork Recipes