This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Chicken Cherries Jubilee
- 2 broiler fryers, 2 1/2 to 3 pounds each, or breasts, thighs, and drumsticks only
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (1 pound) can Bing cherries, pitted
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes or 2 teaspoons chicken stock base
- 1/4 cup pale dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons brandy or cognac, warmed
- Wash chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan. Brown chicken on all sides.
- Transfer to slow cooker.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour 1/2 cup cherry juice into frying pan.
Stir to loosen drippings and pour over chicken.
- Add chili sauce and bouillon cubes, then cover.
- Cook on LOW 6 to 8 hours, or until tender.
- Remove chicken from pot and keep warm.
- Pour juices into saucepan.
Skim fat. Boil until slightly reduced.
- Add sherry and remaining cherry juice.
- Combine cornstarch and water.
- Stir into juice mixture.
- Cook until thickened.
- Add cherries and heat.
- Arrange chicken on warm platter.
- Ignite warmed brandy and flame sauce.
- Spoon flamed sauce over chicken.
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Posted by luvtocook at Recipe Goldmine 6/7/01 5:34:24 am.