Chicken Chow Mein
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, sliced (include green portion)
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 8 ounces bean sprouts
- 8 ounces water chestnuts, sliced
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- Heat oil in skillet and brown chicken.
- Put chicken pieces into slow cooker.
- Add all ingredients except cornstarch and water. Stir and cover.
- Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- Turn to HIGH.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl;
stir until dissolved.
- Stir into the slow cooker liquids.
- Keeping cover
slightly ajar to allow steam to escape, cook until thickened, about
15 to 30 minutes.
- Serve over rice or with chow mein noodles.
Yield: 6 servings
May be doubled for 5-quart slow cooker.