This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Chicken and Cornmeal Dumplings
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 (13 3/4 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) can vegetable juice cocktail (V8)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons parsley, snipped
- 1/2 cup celery; chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups biscuit baking mix
- 1 cup sharp American cheese, shredded, divided
- 2/3 cup milk
- Put green beans in slow cooker.
- Mix together chicken, potatoes, chicken
broth, vegetable juice, celery, onion, chili powder, salt and hot
pepper sauce, and add to slow cooker. Cover.
- Cook on LOW for 4 hours.
- Turn to HIGH and heat until bubbly.
- Add water at this point if needed.
- Combine biscuit baking mix, cornmeal, 1/2 cup cheese and parsley.
- Add milk and stir until just moistened.
- Drop by tablespoons onto stew; cover.
- Cook for 2 1/2 hours more (don't lift cover).
- Sprinkle dumplings with remaining cheese.