This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Chicken Paprika with Dumplings
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks (about 6 large breast halves)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large Spanish onion)
- 1 bell pepper, any color, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Dumplings or hot buttered noodles
- 3 cups flour, sifted with 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Chicken: Dredge the chicken chunks in flour to coat and pat the pieces to
remove the extra flour. Place the chicken pieces along with the
remaining ingredients except sour cream in a slow cooker.
- Set on LOW heat and cover. Cook for 5-6 hours.
- Thirty minutes before serving, raise the temperature to high and stir in the sour cream.
- Heat through and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve over dumplings or hot, buttered wide egg noodles. Makes 6 servings.
- Dumplings: Place flour and salt mixture in a medium bowl. Make a well in the
center of the flour. Add the eggs and half the water and stir in
the flour from around the well with a fork until a soft dough is
formed, adding more water if necessary. Cover the bowl with plastic
wrap and let the dough stand for 30 minutes to overnight.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and pat or roll out to about
one-half inch. Pinch or spoon off small pieces and drop into a large
pot of boiling water. The dumplings are ready when they rise to
the surface. Spoon out with a slotted spoon and serve immediately.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutritional information: 626 calories, 13 grams fat, 64 grams
carbohydrate, 59 grams protein, 1,146 milligrams sodium, 103 milligrams
calcium, 5 grams fiber