Creole Chicken and Red Bean Gumbo
- 1 package Camellia Brand Red Bean Gumbo Mix
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 24 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 stalks celery, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 carrots, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 quarts chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 cup green onions (optional)
- Rinse and inspect beans.
- Using 1/3 of the enclosed spice packet, liberally coat the chicken.
- In a large heavy pot, heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Brown chicken pieces in
oil, then transfer chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining oil, onions, celery and carrots to the same pot. Sauté
over medium high heat for 5 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften.
Transfer sautéed vegetables to the slow cooker.
- Add rest of spice packet and remaining ingredients, except the rice, to
the slow cooker.
- Cook for 6 hours on high, adding the rice for the last hour of cooking,
or for 12 hours on low, adding the rice for the last 90 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions if desired.
Add water as necessary to obtain desired consistency.
Recipe requires a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Slow Cooker Chicken and Turkey Recipes