Low Fat Southern Chicken and Grits
- 1 3/4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons corn grits, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper or yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Place broth in a 3- to 5-quart slow cooker.
- Slowly add grits, stirring constantly, to avoid lumps.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, mushrooms, jalapeno and red pepper; sauté stirring frequently,
about 5 minutes.
- Add vegetables to slow cooker.
- Place tomatoes, cumin, salt and pepper in slow cooker; stir to mix.
- Add chicken thighs.
- Cover and cook at MEDIUM setting for 5 to 6 hours.
Yield: about 1 1/2 cups per serving; points per serving: 4
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 207 Calories; 6g
Fat (26.2% calories from fat); 20g Protein; 21g; Carbohydrate;
4g Dietary Fiber; 54mg Cholesterol; 549mg Sodium
Exchanges: 1 Grain (Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Slow Cooker Chicken and Turkey Recipes