Slow-Cooked Italian Chicken and Mushrooms
- 2 pounds chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced thin
cup Marsala wine (or chicken stock)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, in juices
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/2 cup currants
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh
basil (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (or 2 teaspoons
- In large sauté pan, warm 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to pan and sauté until browned,
about 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken to slow cooker and turn pot on low.
- In same sauté pan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
- Add garlic, mushrooms, pepper slices and onion.
- Sauté until vegetables begin
to soften, about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Add vegetables to slow cooker.
- Add wine to same pan and deglaze about one minute, stirring up brown bits.
- Pour wine into slow cooker.
- Add to slow cooker the tomatoes and juices, capers, currents, basil and parsley.
- Cook for 6 or 7 hours on low (or 3 hours on high), until chicken and vegetables
are very tender and sauce has thickened slightly.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition Information, Per Serving: 600 calories; 31 g fat; 7 g saturated
fat; 29 g carbohydrate; 45 g protein
Recipe and photo credit: National Chicken Council.