Slow-Cooked Jambalaya with Rice
Okra, peppers and fire-roasted tomatoes along with chicken, shrimp and smoked
sausage cook in a slow-cooker for a jambalaya served over brown rice.
- PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon salt-free Cajun seasoning *
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups frozen cut okra
- 3/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper (1 tablespoon = 1 small)
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) Hunt's® Fire Roasted DicedTomatoes with Garlic, undrained
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 ounces frozen cooked small shrimp without tail (6 ounces = about 20 small)
- 4 ounces turkey smoked sausage, split in half lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 6 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Hot pepper sauce, optional
- Spray inside of 3 to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Layer, in order, the chicken, Cajun seasoning, oregano, okra, onion, celery,
bell pepper, jalapeño and undrained tomatoes in slow cooker.
- Add broth.
- Cover; cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, add frozen shrimp and sausage to slow cooker;
stir gently. Increase to HIGH; cover and cook until shrimp and sausages are hot.
- Serve jambalaya over rice in individual shallow bowls.
- Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
Prep Time 8 1/2 min | Total Time 8 hr
Makes: 8 servings (1 cup jambalaya and 3/4 cup rice each)
If a thicker, 'saucier' jambalaya is desired, stir in 1/4 cup instant mashed
potato flakes just before adding the shrimp and sausage.
* To make 1 tablespoon salt-free Cajun seasoning, combine 3/4 teaspoon paprika,
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon
ground red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/4 teaspoon
onion powder and a dash of dried mustard.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: 337 Calories 7g Total Fat 23g Protein
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):