Aromatic scents will fill your house as this classic Indian take-out dish cooks away in the slow cooker. This is great served with
Basmati rice makes a lovely accompaniment to this dish.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped peeled gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons garam masala*
- 1/4 cup canned Muir Glen™ organic tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Progresso™ chicken stock (from 32-ounce carton)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, stems removed
* Garam masala is a blend of spices often used in Indian cooking. The blend
typically contains black pepper, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaves and
- Spray 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In 10-inch skillet, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat.
- Add half of the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer chicken to slow cooker.
- Repeat with remaining half of chicken.
- Reduce heat to medium; add onions to skillet, and cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and gingerroot; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Add garam masala; cook 30 seconds.
- Add tomato paste and salt; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, and scrape bottom of skillet with wooden spoon.
- Transfer to slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 5 to 6 hours.
- At last 30 minutes of cooking, stir in whipping cream.
- Transfer to serving dish, and garnish with cilantro leaves.
- Serve over rice, if desired.
Prep 30 min | Total Time 5 hr 30 min | Servings 8
Nutrition Information 1 Serving Calories 350 Calories from Fat 180 Total
Fat 20g Saturated Fat 9g Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 195mg Sodium 430mg Total Carbohydrate
6g Dietary Fiber 1g Sugars 2g Protein 37g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 4% Iron 15%
Exchanges: Starch; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat
Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 5 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 1 Fat
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Betty Crocker
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.