Spicy Chicken in Peanut Sauce
Pass small bowls of dry-roasted peanuts and chopped fresh cilantro to sprinkle
over the chicken, and serve with wedges of warm pita bread.
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 8 large chicken thighs (about 3 pounds), skin removed
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Ro*Tel
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups hot cooked couscous
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook chicken in oil about 4 minutes, turning once, until brown.
- In 4- to-5-quart slow cooker, mix onion, diced and crushed tomatoes, honey, cumin
- Add chicken.
- Spoon tomato mixture over chicken.
- Cover and cook on Low heat setting 7 to 8 hours.
- Stir in peanut butter until melted and well blended.
- Serve chicken and sauce over couscous.
prep time 15 min | total time 7 hr 15 min | servings 4
Nutrition Facts: Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 740 Calories from Fat 290
Total Fat 33g Saturated Fat 8g Trans Fat 1/2g Cholesterol 140mg Sodium 1180mg
Total Carbohydrate 52g Dietary Fiber 8g Sugars 24g Protein 60g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 25% Vitamin C 25% Calcium 20% Iron 35%
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat
Milk; 0 Milk; 3 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 7 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):