- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 cups frozen cut okra
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen shelled deveined cooked medium shrimp, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked regular long-grain white rice
- 3 cups water
- In small saucepan, combine flour and oil; mix well. Cook, stirring
constantly, over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes
or until mixture turns reddish brown.
- Place flour-oil mixture in 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker.
- Stir in
all remaining ingredients except shrimp, rice and water.
cook on LOW setting for 7 to 9 hours.
- When ready to serve, cook rice in water as directed on package.
- Meanwhile, add shrimp to gumbo mixture in slow cooker; mix well.
cook on LOW setting for additional 20 minutes.
- Serve gumbo over rice.
Yield: 6 servings