Beef Barley Stew
- 1 1/2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 (14 ounce) cans peeled tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can water
- 1/2 cup uncooked barley
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cooked and peeled potatoes, cut into chunks (optional)
- Brown meat in olive oil in skillet over medium heat, about 3 minutes.
- Remove meat from pan and set aside.
- Add carrots, onion and celery to pan and cook until slightly browned,
2 to 3 minutes.
- Add vegetables to slow cooker.
- Place meat on top of vegetables.
- Add tomatoes, water and barley.
- Stir in sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 7 hours, adding cooked potatoes
to stew during last 30 minutes of cooking.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.