Beef Barley Stew
- 1 1/2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 (14 ounce) cans peeled tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can water
- 1/2 cup uncooked barley
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cooked and peeled potatoes, cut into chunks (optional)
- Brown meat in olive oil in skillet over medium heat, about 3 minutes.
- Remove meat from pan and set aside.
- Add carrots, onion and celery to pan and cook until slightly browned,
2 to 3 minutes.
- Add vegetables to slow cooker.
- Place meat on top of vegetables.
- Add tomatoes, water and barley.
- Stir in sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 7 hours, adding cooked potatoes
to stew during last 30 minutes of cooking.