- 1 1/2 pounds stew beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or bacon grease
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 medium white potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- In a skillet, brown meat in hot oil or bacon grease.
- Layer carrots, potatoes, onion and browned meat in slow cooker.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and spices.
- Pour broth and the 1 cup water over all.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
- Half an hour before serving, remove bay leaves and add mixture of
cornstarch and the 1/3 cup water to thicken.
- Turn to HIGH and cook for 30 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.