Big Easy Chicken Gumbo
- 1 chicken breast, diced
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- Salt and white pepper
- 1/3 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup cooked sliced okra
- 3 tablespoons chopped Italian or regular parsley
- In a large skillet, or slow cooker if it has a browning unit, sauté
diced chicken in bacon fat until pieces become firm, but not brown;
- Sauté green pepper and celery until translucent,
but not brown, and add to chicken in slow cooker.
- Add broth or stock, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cover pot; turn on LOW and cook for 4 to 6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Add rice and okra during last hour of cooking.
- Serve gumbo garnished with parsley.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings