Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 3 cups water
- 12 ounces fully cooked smoked sausage links, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken or 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 cups sliced okra or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole okra, partially thawed and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- For the roux, in a heavy 2-quart saucepan stir together the flour
and oil until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes,
- Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir constantly
about 15 minutes more or until a dark, reddish-brown roux forms.
- In a 3-1/2-, 4- or 5-quart slow cooker place water.
- Stir in roux.
- Add sausage, chicken, okra, onion, sweet pepper, celery, garlic,
salt, pepper and ground red pepper.
- Cover; cook on LOW for 6 to 7 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Skim off fat.
- Serve over the hot cooked rice.
Yield: 5 servings
Nutrition facts per serving: Nutrition facts per serving: 637
calories, 39 g total fat, 11 g saturated fat, 83 mg cholesterol,
952 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 28 g protein
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Slow Cooker Soup Recipes