Chicken Stew with Rosemary Dumplings
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) black pepper
- 1 (3 pound - 1.5 kg) whole chicken about, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick
- 2 stalks celery, sliced, 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) dried rosemary
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken stock
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Fresh rosemary sprigs
- Stew: In a bowl or plastic bag, combine flour, salt and pepper.
- In batches, add chicken pieces to flour mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken pieces and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until brown on all
sides. Set aside.
- Add carrots, celery, onion and rosemary to slow cooker.
- Set chicken pieces over vegetables.
- Pour 1/2 cup (125 mL) stock into skillet and cook over medium-high
heat, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan.
- Pour pan juices into slow cooker along with remaining stock.
- Cover and cook on LOW
for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours, until vegetables
are tender and stew is bubbling.
- Add peas and stir gently to combine.
- Rosemary Dumplings: In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, rosemary
- In a measuring cup combine milk and egg. Mix well and
add to flour mixture. Stir with a fork to make a lumpy dough (do
not over-mix - lumps are fine).
- Drop dumpling mixture over chicken pieces.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 25 to 30 minutes or until tester
inserted in center of dumpling comes out clean.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Slow Cooker Soup Recipes