Creamy Asparagus Soup
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 2 onions, finely minced
- 2 potatoes, peeled, diced small
- 2 ribs celery, diced small, with tops included
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 teaspoons granulated chicken or vegetable bouillon (or 8 cubes of bouillon)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 sprig fresh tarragon, chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, minced, or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups half-and-half
- Sour cream
- Chives, chopped
- Break off and discard the tough, thick end of each asparagus spear. Chop the
spears into 1/4-inch slices and add to the slow cooker along with all remaining
ingredients down to and including the white pepper.
- Add water to within 1 inch of the top of the slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 6-7 hours.
- About two hours before serving, use a slotted spoon to remove most of the vegetables
to a blender. Use a ladle to add some of the liquid from the slow cooker to the
blender. Puree the mixture and add back in to the slow cooker.
- Repeat once or twice
more as necessary (you can leave some of the pieces in the slow cooker for effect.)
- Add approximately 1 cup of the half-and-half to the slow cooker.
- Add the cornstarch to the remaining half-and-half in the carton.
- Close the carton well and shake vigorously.
- Add the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Continue to cook on HIGH for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in bowls with a dollop of sour cream and chopped chives sprinkled over
the sour cream.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Slow Cooker Soup Recipes