Creamy Potato Garlic Soup
Toss in a few key ingredients, cover and walk away. When you return you'll be
rewarded with rich, savory soup that warms you right down to your toes. Potatoes,
garlic and onion simmer in the crock, then get pureed with rich cream. Top with
cheese and bacon for the perfect cool weather lunch.
Shredded cheddar cheese and bacon makes a fantastic dish that tastes like your
favorite baked potato with toppings!
To peel or not to peel, that is the question. We've made this soup both ways,
and most folks prefer the unpeeled version. It gives the soup great depth of
flavor; but it's really cook's choice.
Cream, Half-and-Half, whole milk or even 2% milk can be used in the recipe.
The higher the fat content, the richer the soup.
- 1 1/2 pounds white potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into 1/4" rounds
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 to 6 cloves of garlic, to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream or Half-and-Half
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Cooked, crumbled bacon
- Thin slices of cooked ham
- Sour cream
- Place the sliced potatoes, onion, salt, chicken broth, and garlic into the crock
of a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
- Near the end of cooking time, test the potatoes by pricking with a fork. They
should easily break and fall apart.
- Remove the lid and puree the soup either with a hand held stick blender, or in
a food processor or blender. Puree in small batches to avoid hot splashes of soup.
- Return the soup to the crock and add the heavy cream. Heat carefully; don't let
it come to a boil.
- Serve hot, with your choice of toppings.
Hands-on time: 10 to 15 min | Total time: 2 hr 10 min to 3 hr 10 min
Yield: 8 (1 cup) servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from: King Arthur Flour
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.