- 1 pound lean beef stew meat
- 6 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes with liquid, cut up
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced dried parsley
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 cup uncooked small elbow or shell macaroni
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a slow cooker, combine beef, water, tomatoes, bouillon, onion,
parsley, salt (if desired), thyme and pepper.
- Cover and cook on
LOW for 7 to 9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add zucchini, cabbage, beans and macaroni.
- Cook on HIGH, covered,
30 to 45 minutes more, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle individual servings with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Yield: 8 servings
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (without added salt and Parmesan
cheese) equals 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 starch, 1 meat
246 calories, 453mg sodium, 33mg cholesterol, 30gm carbohydrate,
19gm protein, 6gm fat
Source: Taste of Home Collector's Edition advertisement