New Orleans Chicken Gumbo
- 1 chicken breast, diced
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 quart (4 cups) chicken broth
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- Salt and white pepper
- 1/3 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup cooked sliced okra
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- In a large skillet sauté diced chicken in bacon fat until pieces
become firm, but not brown; remove chicken and place in slow cooker.
- Sauté green pepper and celery until translucent, but not brown,
and add to chicken in slow cooker.
- Add broth or stock, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cover slow cooker; set to LOW and cook for 4 to 6 hours
or until chicken is tender.
- Add rice and okra during last hour of cooking.
- Serve gumbo garnished with parsley.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings