Burgundy Stew with Herb Dumplings
Hungry appetites to satisfy? Rely on homemade herb dumplings and a rich beefy
stew all made in the slow cooker.
- 2 pounds boneless beef bottom or top round, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices (2 cups)
- 2 medium stalks celery, sliced (1 cup)
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 jars (4.5 ounces each) Green Giant® sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3/4 cup dry red wine or Progresso® beef flavored broth (from 32-ounce carton)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups Original Bisquick® mix
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage leaves, crushed
- 1/2 cup milk
- In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, mix all stew ingredients except water and flour.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours (or High heat setting 4 to 5 hours).
- In small bowl, mix water and flour; gradually stir into beef mixture.
- In small bowl, mix Bisquick mix, 1/2 teaspoon thyme and the sage.
- Stir in milk just until Bisquick mix is moistened.
- Drop dough by spoonsful onto hot beef mixture.
- Increase heat setting to High.
- Cover; cook 25 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of dumplings
comes out clean.
- Serve immediately.
Prep Time 25 min | Total Time 9 hr | Servings 8
Save time cleaning and slicing carrots by using 2 cups of ready-to-eat baby-cut
Fluffy Dumplings: Drop the dumpling dough onto the stew pieces rather
than directly into the liquid. The dumplings will steam rather than settle into
the liquid and become soggy. Also, be sure the stew is piping hot, so the dumplings
will start to cook from the steam right away.
Nutrition Information: Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 300 ( Calories from
Fat 60), Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 2 1/2g, Trans Fat 1g ), Cholesterol 65mg Sodium
990mg Total Carbohydrate 28g (Dietary Fiber 3g Sugars 6g ), Protein 30g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 110%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 8%; Iron 25%
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat
Milk; 0 Milk; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 3 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 1
Carbohydrate Choices: 2
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):