Easy Italian Meatball Stew
Showcase Mediterranean flavors for this slow-cooked dish, with easy canned tomatoes,
Parmesan cheese, and a frozen onion and pepper medley.
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen cooked Italian meatballs, thawed
- 1 cup frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with Italian-style
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
1/2 cups frozen bell pepper and onion stir-fry, thawed, drained
- 1 ounce (1/4
cup) shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- In 3 1/2 to 4-quart slow cooker, combine meatballs, onions, salt and tomatoes;
- Cover; cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours.
- About 20 minutes before serving, in small bowl, blend flour and water until smooth.
Stir flour mixture into stew. Stir in bell pepper and onion stir-fry.
- Increase heat setting to high; cover and cook an additional 15 to 20 minutes
or until stew has thickened and bell peppers are thoroughly heated.
- Sprinkle individual servings with cheese.
Pearl onions are mild-flavored onions just 1/2-inch
in diameter. They are a common addition to stew.
Prepare your favorite homemade meatballs
to use in this stew using 1 1/4 pounds of ground meat.
Try this stew over pasta—penne or ziti work great.
Serve it with a loaf of crusty French bread.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving (1 1/2 Cups) Calories 495 (Calories from
Fat 225), Total Fat 25g (Saturated Fat 10g, Cholesterol 145mg; Sodium 1480mg; Total
Carbohydrate 36g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 10g), Protein 32g
Exchanges: 2 Starch; 2 Other Carbohydrate; 2 Vegetable; 2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 2 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit: