Farmer's Market Idaho® Potato Stew
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped red bell peppers
- 4 pounds Idaho® potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup fat free milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 (7-ounce) package reduced fat shredded Mexican-style four cheese blend (about 1 3/4 cups total)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Coat a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add potatoes, zucchini and thyme.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, place over medium high heat
- Add the onions, coat with cooking spray; cook 4 minutes or until translucent,
- Add the bell peppers to the onions in the skillet, coat with cooking spray, cook
4 minutes or until onions are brown on edges, stirring frequently.
- Pour the water into the skillet and stir until well blended and beginning to
boil. Pour onion mixture evenly over the potatoes. Do not stir.
- Cover and cook on high setting 3 1/2 hours or until potatoes are tender when
pierced with a fork.
- Combine the milk and cornstarch in a small bowl; stir until cornstarch is completely
- Gently stir into the potato mixture with 1 cup of the cheese, the butter, salt
- Cover and cook on high setting 10 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Spoon the potato mixture into a large pasta bowl or 13 x 9-inch casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 cup cheese.
Yield: 14 servings (3/4 cup per serving)
Estimated Nutritional Analysis per Serving: 160 calories, 5 g total fat,
2.5 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 15 mg cholesterol, 470 mg sodium, 3 g fiber,
8 g protein, 22 g carbohydrate
Recipe and photo credit: Idaho Potato Commission.