Texas Chuck Wagon Chili
Hearty appetites will be satisfied when served bowls brimming with spicy, Southwestern-style
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 4 large onions, cut into eighths
- 4 to 4 1/2 pounds fresh beef brisket (not corned beef), trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 4 dried ancho chiles, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 cups Progresso™ beef flavored broth (from 32-ounce carton)
- 2 large yellow, red or green bell peppers, cut into 2 1/2-inch strips
- Shredded Cheddar cheese, if desired
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Heat oil in 4-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook onions in oil for
5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened.
- Stir in beef, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook about 13 minutes, stirring occasionally,
until beef is lightly browned; drain.
- Place beef mixture in 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in chiles, cumin and broth.
- Cover and cook on Low setting for 8 to 9 hours.
- Stir in bell peppers. Increase heat setting to High.
- Cover and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until bell peppers are hot.
- Serve with cheese.
Prep Time: 55 min | Total Time: 10 hr, 5 min | Yield: 8 servings
Beef brisket is a cut of beef taken from the breast section under the first five
ribs. It requires long, slow, moist cooking, making it the perfect choice for this
Ancho chiles are dried poblano chiles. They have a rich, slightly sweet taste.
They can be mild to pungent in flavor but are not excessively hot.
Nutrition Facts Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 435 Calories from Fat 180
Total Fat 20g Saturated Fat 7g Cholesterol 130mg Sodium 1250mg Total Carbohydrate
12g Dietary Fiber 2g Protein 52g
% Daily Value*: Iron 32%
Exchanges: 2 Vegetable; 7 Lean Meat
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Slow Cooker Soup Recipes