Super Bowl Sunday Stew
- 1 pound beef stew, 1-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 30 ounces canned tomato juice
- 30 ounces canned tomatoes, chopped coarsely
- 5 celery stalks leaves included, chopped small
- 2 carrots, peeled (cut in rounds or quarters)
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen okra, cut
- 3 to 4 tablespoons barley
- 3 cubes beef bouillon
- 16 ounces canned corn or 10 ounces frozen corn
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt (optional)
- 6 to 8 stalks parsley, finely chopped
- Water, as needed
- 1 pinch cayenne (optional)
- 12 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Sauté meat pieces in butter over medium high heat until browned
on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Pour into a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker or slow cooker, add remaining
ingredients, and mix well to blend.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- Stir occasionally during the day. Taste for seasoning just before
serving. If you want a bite to this stew, you can add to taste some
- Serve in heated bowls with some country peasant bread or bread
of your choice, in big chunks and with lots of butter.
Yield: 6 servings
The frozen okra can be added as is, for it will quickly thaw
in the warm liquid.
You can add water to this stew depending
on the thickness you want (about 4 cups for a thick stew).
Posted by bettyboop50 at Recipe Goldmine April 26, 2001.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Slow Cooker Soup Recipes