Texas Two-Step Stew
- 8 ounces uncooked chorizo sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce can Mexican-style or Tex-Mex-style chili beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can hominy or 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn with sweet peppers, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) package regular Spanish-style rice mix
- 6 cups water
- Remove casings from sausage, if present.
- In a medium skillet cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is
no longer pink. Drain fat.
- Transfer sausage mixture to a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker.
- Stir in undrained chili beans, hominy, and the seasoning packet contents
from the rice mix.
- Pour water over all.
- Cover; cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours or on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours.
- Stir in remaining rice mix.
- Cover; cook on LOW for 1 hours more or on HIGH for 45 minutes more.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutritional information per serving: 383 cal, 16 g total fat (6 g sat fat),
33 mg chol, 1385 mg sodium, 44 g carbo, 6 g fiber, 16 g prot