Arizona Chuck Wagon Beans
- 1 pound dried navy or pinto beans
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 pound salt pork, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds chuck steak, cubed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Pick over beans and rinse well.
- Combine beans and water in a large kettle. Bring to boiling; cover; cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand 1 hour then pour into slow cooker.
- Brown salt pork in a large skillet; remove with a slotted spoon to slow cooker.
- Sauté onion, garlic and green pepper in pan drippings; remove with slotted
spoon to slow cooker.
- Brown beef, a few pieces at a time in pan drippings; remove to slow cooker
with slotted spoon; stir in salt, oregano, red pepper, cumin and tomato sauce.
Add more water, if necessary to bring liquid level above beans.
- Cook on LOW for 10 hours or on HIGH for 6 hours, or until beans are tender.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Slow Cooker Vegetable Recipes