Black Beans and Rice
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 1/2 pounds dried black turtle beans
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 hot pepper (optional)
- Tabasco (optional)
- 4 onions, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, diced
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oregano, chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 pound lean bulk pork sausage
- 1 pound pork, boneless, cubed
- 1 pound stew beef chunks
- 1/2 pound ham, smoked (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 1/2 pounds smoked link sausage. cut into 1- to 2-inch lengths
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Beans: Wash and look for gravel then soak overnight in a bowl being
sure beans are well covered with water. For cooking use a large
- Meats: First, brown bulk sausage in a skillet and pour off excess
grease. Add other meats and stir to brown. Add bell pepper, onion,
garlic, celery, and spices. Salt and pepper moderately; taste after
cooking several hours and add more if needed.
- Add beans and soak water. If necessary add more water to cover entire
ingredients by at least two inches. Stir in four bouillon cubes.
- Cover and cook on slow cooker HIGH for three hours then turn to low
for at least six hours.
- If you enjoy hot and spicy foods add the hot pepper (jalapeno, habanero
or whatever you like) and Tabasco. If you don't like it hot,
then leave them out or serve the Tabasco at the table.
- Serve beans and meat over rice. I have found brown rice to be quite
tasty, but white rice is fine too.
- Serve in a soup bowl and top with fresh chopped onion.
From the kitchen of Martin James – Copenhagen, Denmark
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Slow Cooker Vegetable Recipes