- 1 pound dry pinto beans
- Chicken stock
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure chile powder (not blended)
- 1/2 pound smoked ham or sausage, diced*
- Salt to taste
* Or thick-sliced bacon, fried and diced, with 1 tablespoon bacon drippings added to pot.
- Pick over and rinse beans several times. Put beans in slow cooker
and cover with chicken stock. Add onion, cumin, chile powder and meat.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt. Allow beans to cook for 4 more hours.
Yield: 8 servings
For thicker beans, when beans are tender, puree about 1 cup
of beans with some cooking liquid in blender and return to pot.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Slow Cooker Vegetable Recipes