- 1 pound dry pinto beans
- Chicken stock
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure chile powder (not blended)
- 1/2 pound smoked ham or sausage, diced*
- Salt to taste
* Or thick-sliced bacon, fried and diced, with 1 tablespoon bacon drippings added to pot.
- Pick over and rinse beans several times. Put beans in slow cooker
and cover with chicken stock. Add onion, cumin, chile powder and meat.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt. Allow beans to cook for 4 more hours.*
Yield: 8 servings
For thicker beans, when beans are tender, puree about 1 cup
of beans with some cooking liquid in blender and return to pot.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.