These tangy Barbecue Beans travel well—transport in the same pot they’re cooked in and they’ll stay hot for serving.
Comment: I added one medium green bell pepper, minced, to this recipe. I used 1 can French-cut green beans (drained), 1 can great northern beans (drained), 1 can black beans (1/2 cup liquid reserved), and 1 can pinto beans, drained.
- 1/2 pound bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup mild-flavor (light) molasses
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained, 1/2 cup liquid reserved
- In 10-inch skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crisp and onions are tender; drain.
- In 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker, mix bacon, onion and remaining ingredients, including reserved liquid.
- Cover; cook on LOW heat setting 3 to 4 hours.
Prep: 20 min | Total Time: 3 hr 20 min | Servings: 12
Recipe and photo used with permission from: