Vegetarian Hoppin' John
- 1 pound dried black eye peas
- 2 quarts plus 3 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 dried or canned chipotle chile
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 3 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- Salt to taste
- Rinse and sort through peas.
- In a deep pot, bring 2 quarts water to boil over high heat. Add
peas. Let water return to boil; then boil uncovered for 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse peas, discarding cooking water.
- In slow cooker, combine onion, garlic, green chiles, cumin pepper,
baking soda and chipotle chile.
- Stir in peas; pour in remaining 3 cups water.
- Cover and cook on LOW until peas are tender to bite
(9 to 10 hours).
- Remove and discard chipotle chile; stir in rice and tomatoes.
- Increase heat to HIGH; cover and cook until rice is tender (45 to
55 minutes more).
- Season to taste with salt.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings