- 2 cups cubed rye bread
- 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 pounds ground beef
- 2 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 1 (40 ounce) bottle ketchup
- 2 cups crab apple or apple jelly, melted
- 4 teaspoons browning sauce (optional)
- Combine the bread cubes and milk; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the next six ingredients;
- Crumble meat into bread mixture; stir just until blended. Form into 1
1/2-inch balls. Place in four ungreased 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pans.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes; drain.
- Combine ketchup, jelly and browning sauce if desired; spoon over meatballs.
- Reduce heat to 300 degrees F; cover and bake for 1 hour.
Yields 7 to 7 1/2 dozen.