Heavenly Dinner Rolls
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F
to 115 degrees F)
- 4 cups warm milk (110 degrees F to 115 degrees F)
- 1 cup
- 1 cup shortening
- 7 to 7 1/2 cups flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Melted butter or margarine
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, sugar, shortening and 4
cups flour; beat until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 2 hours.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, salt and enough remaining flour to form a soft,
slightly sticky dough. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Turn onto a heavily floured surface; pat to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with a biscuit
cutter or drop by 1/4 cupsful onto greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until
nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Brush tops
with butter if desired.
Yields about 5 dozen.
Dough may be refrigerated up to 3 days. Punch down each