Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls
- 3 pounds 2 ounces canned sweet potatoes (reserve liquid)
- 3 1/4 cups sweet
potato liquid and or hot water
- 12 ounces (3 sticks) margarine, divided
cup vegetable oil
- 6 cups brown sugar (packed), divided
- 6 cups all-purpose
or bread flour
- 1 pound whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup dry milk powder
- 1 1/2
- 1 teaspoons nutmeg
- 7 tablespoons cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 cup
instant dry yeast
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place sweet potatoes, sweet potato liquid, 4 ounces margarine, oil and 2 cups
brown sugar in mixer; mix well with wire whip.
- Place hook attachment on mixer; slowly mix in 3 1/4 cups reserved sweet potato
liquid and/or water.
- Add flours, dry milk, salt, nutmeg, 4 tablespoons cinnamon
and yeast. Dough should look like it is too dry. Beat for 10 minutes. Dough will
become more elastic and moist as it mixes.
- Let dough rise until double in size.
- Divide dough into 2 equal sections. Roll out each section to a 1/2-inch thick
rectangle. Brush with remaining margarine.
- Combine remaining brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle mixture on dough. Roll
dough jellyroll style.
- Cut each roll into 35 (4 ounce) portions. Place rolls 3 x 6 in a 2-inch steam
table pan sprayed with food release or lined with pan liner. Let rise until double
- Heat convection oven to 300 degrees F or a conventional oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Combine confectioners' sugar, 1 cup hot water and vanilla extract.
- Brush rolls
with glaze before serving, if desired.
Makes 70 servings.