Apricot Bread Pudding
- 7 ounces whole eggs
- 15 ounces granulated sugar
- 1 ounce vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 pounds day-old whole wheat bread cut into 1-inch cubes (2 loaves)
- 6 ounces raisins
- 3 ounces egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon peel, grated
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 68 ounces milk
- 1 (#10) can apricot halves, drained and cut in half
- Heavy cream, for garnish
- Combine eggs and yolks. Add sugar, butter, vanilla extract, lemon peel and spices.
Beat until well blended. Stir in milk; set aside.
- Place bread, apricots and raisins in large bowl. Stir in egg mixture; let stand for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Divide mixture evenly among three buttered hotel pans (12 x 10 x 2-inches).
- Bake at 325 degrees F for about 70 minutes, until set and golden brown. Cut into
- Serve warm or cold, with cream or whipped cream, as desired.
Yield: 60 servings