Cat in the Hat Banana Cake
- 3/4 cup egg whites, frozen
- 6 1/4 ounces vegetable oil
- 1 pound 10 1/2 ounces granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons miniature chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon instant powdered milk
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon water
- 2 pounds plus 3 ounces all-purpose enriched flour
- 2 3/4 pounds bananas, mashed
- Blend mashed bananas, sugar, shortening and egg whites for 1 minute. Gradually
add water until blended. Do not over-mix or batter will be lumpy.
- Combine flour, dry milk, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to banana mixture
and blend until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Pour into 18 x 26 x 2-inch baking pan that is lightly greased, or use non-stick coating spray.
- Bake until browned
at 350 degrees F for 35-45 minutes, or in a convection oven at 300 degrees F for
25-35 minutes. Cake is done when a wooden pick inserted in the middle comes out
Yields 50 (2 1/4 x 2 1/2-inch) pieces