Coffee Break Cake
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3/4 cup margarine (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 1/4 quarts cake flour (9 cups)
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 cups washed and drained raisins
- 2 cups chopped nuts
- 1 1/4 cups shortening
- 3 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup eggs (about 5 medium)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups water
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease an 18 x 26-inch sheet pan or use four
9 x 13-inch pans.
- Topping: Combine sugar, margarine, flour and cinnamon together to form a coarse
crumb, set this topping aside.
- Cake: Place flour, baking powder, dry milk, nutmeg and salt in mixer bowl. Mix
well to combine. Add raisins and nuts to flour mixture. Stir in well to coat.
- Cream shortening and sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla extract.
Beat 1 minute at medium speed. Add all of the flour mixture and then all of the
water to the creamed mixture. Mix at low speed only until flour is moistened. Spread
batter in prepared pan(s). Spread crumb topping on batter, pressing lightly into
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned and the center springs back
- Serve warm with coffee.
If flour mixture is over-mixed, cake will be tough.